



I came across my space on my second walk around the city. It was a spur of the moment trip and was caused only because I had pent up frustration from how earlier that day I couldn't find any spaces I resonated with. My space is half a block in from the intersection of Stetson and Randolph. I became enamored with this space because although it is only an empty lot surrounded by dusky underground roads and tall office buildings, the small plot of grass has the 'characteristics' of a 'park'. For instance, man made structures that could be played on by children (the yellow parking blocks, a shopping cart), a pond (the puddle beneath the bridge), grass, some dirt that could be used as a baseball diamond, rocks to climb on, and so on. Obviously, this lot is not suitable for the public and for children to play in, but I find it striking how the vacant and fenced off lot gives an illusion of a park and of a place for adolescence.I hope to go back to the lot during the evening to see how the late sunlight reflects off the tall surrounding buildings and trickles down into the pit, and if any kids sneak into the lot at night.
This paradox draws me in because it all seems very "Stand by Me", in how children (I'm talking about myself here...) always seem to seek adventure and fun in the things that are most outwardly dangerous.
No comments:
Post a Comment